What Supplements Reduce Cortisol?
Matt Paterson (B.Ex & Sport Science)
We don’t have to remind you that the demands of a fast-paced life leave you tired, stressed, and unable to think or concentrate. And when you can’t perform to your best, it in itself causes more stress. It’s a wicked cycle that repeats itself and pushes us all to the limit.
Despite this, stress management, adrenal health, and cortisol control has long been an overlooked factor in general health. And when cortisol levels are high, you can feel fatigued, hold more body fat, and find it difficult to get results from training.
But what can you do about? Here, we’ll look at some of the supplement you can use to keep your cortisol under control and improve your overall health.
What Is Cortisol?
People often refer to cortisol as the stress hormone, but what exactly is it? Think of it as your body’s alarm system. Released by your adrenal glands, it works with your brain to control your mood, motivation, and fear.
But how does it work? Your hypothalamus and pituitary gland sense if your blood has the right levels of cortisol. If it’s too low, your adrenal glands release more. Likewise, if it’s too high your adrenal glands will adjust the amount it releases. Cortisol receptors then pick up on the levels and your blood and can use cortisol in different ways.
For example, when you get a fright, your adrenal glands will release more cortisol and the cortisol receptors will shut down any function not needed for getting away from the danger. Keep in mind, though, that your body’s cortisol needs differ day by day and depends on how much stress your body is under.
Although it’s usually associated with your body’s fight or flight response, cortisol plays an important part in many other bodily functions:
- It manages how your body uses carbohydrates, fats, and proteins.
- It keeps inflammation down.
- It regulates your blood pressure.
- It increases your blood pressure.
- It controls how much sleep you get.
- It boosts energy so that you can handle stress.
The Effects of Too Much Cortisol
Although it plays such an important role in your body, like many other things, too much of a good thing is bad. Once a stressful situation dissipates, your cortisol levels should return to normal. But what happens if you’re under stress the whole time? Then your cortisol levels won’t fall, and this creates havoc with many of your body’s systems.
For instance, it can cause:
- Anxiety and depression
- Heart disease
- Memory and concentration problems.
- Digestive problems.
- Weight gain.
Now you can see that, just as important as cortisol is in times of stress, it’s just as important to keep its levels down when you’re no longer under stress. Luckily, there are a few supplements that can help with this.
Let’s look at some of these.
Switch Nutrition Adrenal Switch
This Australian cortisol, adrenal, and sleep support supplement has been specifically designed to counter the effects of high cortisol levels like fatigue, increased body fat, and reduced training results.
Apart from this, it:
- Reduces stress.
- Maintains healthy cortisol levels.
- Increases the quality of sleep.
- Supports recovery after training.
- Helps with fat burning.
- Increases natural testosterone levels.
To do this its key ingredients include:
- This natural herb has been shown to lower cortisol, increase testosterone, and support recovery. Also, it can boost brain function, lower blood sugar, and help fight symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- An essential mineral that helps with immune system and metabolic functions and also plays a role in brain and hormone health.
- Magnesium Citrate. This is a vital nutrient that is important in over 300 bodily functions.
Apart from these key ingredients, Adrenal Switch also contains others like L-Leucine, L-Glycine, L-Theanine, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B6. It’s also naturally sweetened and contains no sugar, soy, gluten, or animal products. As such, it’s suitable and beneficial for any person, whether they’re exercising or not.
Dosage: 1 serving post-workout and again prior to going to bed.
Cost: starts at $59.95 for 30 servings
ATP Science Adrenal RX
ATP Science Adrenal RX is specifically designed to help support adrenal and brain function during times of physical and mental stress. It’s therefore helpful whether you’re working hard, training hard, or need stress support.
Some of its benefits are that it:
- Relieves inflammation.
- Supports and maintains adrenal health.
- Promotes the body’s adaptation to stress.
- Reduces or relieves the symptoms of stress.
- Reduces or relieves the symptoms of mild anxiety.
- Maintains overall mental wellbeing.
- Increases refreshing sleep.
- Promotes healthy sleeping patterns.
Its key ingredients include:
- This natural herb helps the body to cope with physical and mental stress and promotes the body’s ability to adapt to stress.
- This flowering plant has been used for centuries to treat stress, fatigue, and depression. It promotes the body’s natural resistance to stress and also has anti-inflammatory properties that protects the body against the symptoms of stress.
- Part of the ginger family, turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that help to remove the burden of stress.
- Schisandra Chinensis. This vine plant has traditionally been used to support adrenal gland health and has been shown to relieve the symptoms of mild anxiety.
Dosage: Take 1 capsule 3 times daily with meals.
Cost: Starting from $69.95 for 90 capsules.
Restore by Primabolics
Restore by Primabolics has a potent botanical blend that counters the negative effects of stress on the body. It is a 2 in 1 adrenal and sleep support supplement that reduces anxiety and improves overall sleep quality.
Its key benefits include:
- Supporting improved sleep.
- Supporting cortisol and stress reduction.
- Supporting healthy weight loss.
- Improving REM sleep.
Its key ingredients include:
- This natural herb protects lowers cortisol and helps the body to cope with physical and mental stress.
- Holy Basil. This plant protects against infection, lowers blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, and protects your stomach.
- This plant compound acts like an antioxidant.
- Passion Flower. This vine plant reduces anxiety and sleep problems
Dosage: 3 capsules
Cost: Starting from $79.95 for 90 capsules.
Stress is good for the body. It allows the body to complete tasks efficiently and allows adaptation, especially when training. But too much of it is bad for you.
By using these supplements you’ll keep your stress in check, reduce your cortisol, sleep better, and enjoy overall better health.