You may not realise, but, Potassium (Vitamin K) is a key mineral and electrolyte. It is crucial, as without it, every living thing would have no life.
It provides and is responsible for many bodily function. It keeps blood pressure stable, regulates heart contractions, helps with muscle functioning and moves nutrients and waste around cells.
Signs of Potassium Deficiency
Here are some symptoms you may experience if you are deficient...
- Bone and muscle aches (particularly the lower back)
- Dizziness after leaning over
- Headaches upon rising and feeling stressed
- Itchy scalp with sings of dandruff, hair thinning or balding
- Eyes tire easily and lack ability to focus
- Hands and feet get cold, due to lack of blood circulation
- Difficulty in decision making, loss of mental alertness and confusion
- Feeling irritable
Who's at Risk?
Some people are more susceptible at low potassium levels than others. You are more at risk if...
- Take diuretic (water) pills
- If you are experiencing vomiting or diarrhoea
- Have a physical job
- Live in a hot climate
- Are a professional athlete
- Don’t consume enough potassium through diet
Potassium Rich Foods
It is very important you are consuming enough potassium through your diet. There are many available food sources high in potassium. Foods that are a good source are...
- Leafy greens
S P I N A C H
K A L E
- Vine fruits
T O M A T O
E G G P L A N T
- Root vegetables
C A R R O T
S W E E T P O T A T O
- Tree fruits
A P P L E
B A N A N A
- Beans & peas
- Milk, Yoghurt and meat
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Potassium plays a major role of intracellular fluid and an almost constant component of lean body tissues.
It is the movements of potassium out of cells and sodium in that changes electrical potential of nerve and muscle cells.
Therefore, it is important to consume potassium through diet to allow bodily functions and keep your electrolytes up.
We stock Amino Acids. Some of our Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's) contain added electrolytes for re-hydration.