Did you know your body is 70% composed of water. It is so important to ensure you are getting an adequate amount of water throughout your day and staying hydrated. You would more than likely know the facts that between 6-8 glasses of water a day is a reasonable goal to reach and enough to keep you hydrated. However, keep in mind, everyones body is different. Some may require more or less, or depending on your goals, lifestyle or activities you perform you may have different requirements.
The best indication you can use to ensure you are drinking enough is to decide by the colour of your urine. If it is almost clear or light in colour you are well hydrated. On the other hand if it is dark or you are lacking using the bathroom, that is a clear sign of dehydration.
Read further for the side effects of not consuming enough, importance and vital role it takes on functioning and keep the body healthy and what you can do to ensure you are keeping hydrated...
If you fail to stay hydrated, you body will experience many side effect.
Some symptoms of dehydration will include the following:
- Little or no urine (or darker urine than usual)
- Dryness of the mouth
- Feelings of fatigue, exhaustions, tiredness
- Extreme thirst
- Headaches or Migraines
- Confusion, lack of ability to concentrate and stay attentive.
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Lack of, or litter tears when crying
How Hydration Effects All Body Parts
Water makes up 80% of the brain. The brain plays a vital role in your body's response to dehydration.
Your mouth depicts and is a good indication on how dehydrated you are. Did you know, that by the time you feel thirsty, your body has lost between 2-5 glasses of water!
Keeping hydrated will reduce you risk of colon cancer, badder cancer, lowers risk of a heart attack as it help protects your organs and cleanse them of toxins and waste.
Water contains fluoride. This helps reduce the effect of acid in food and drink coming in contact with your teeth when you eat and drink. This helps prevent tooth decay.
Every time you breathe your body secretes water. Did you know, in just one day, your body will lose roughly 1 glass of water?
Without water, your kidneys would not be able to eliminate toxic waste, regulate blood composition, minerals and ion levels. Therefore, it is very important as it cleanses the organs and body.
Staying hydrated will keep you regular in going to the bathroom, flushing out waste and toxins. Drinking water will reduce the risk of bladder infections and kidney stones. It also prevents constipation.
Your blood is composted of roughly 90% water. Without water, your blood supply would not be able to help carry and deliver oxygen and nutrients throughout the body.
Water intake helps keep your skin moisturised, balanced and looking youthful.
For a healthy diet, water is a crucial component. It also helps with digestion and cures stomach acid problems
Adequate water intake keeps your body temperate regulated
Yes it's true, keeping hydrated can aid in weight loss. It prevents you from feeling fatigued - so you have more energy, control calorie intake and burns fat. It should be a main source as hydration as unlike other drinks, it contains no sugar, carbs or calories.
To help With Your Hydration
The following at some tips to ensure you are getting adequate water intake and keep you hydrated!
- Keep a water bottle handy and available at all times. Why not try out Spartan jugs! They hold 2.2L of water - this is equivalent to the recommended daily intake of fluid. We suggest you fill your Spartans Jug up with water at the beginning of the day and ensure you finish it by the end of the day. If you can drink more, that is a great effort.
- If you don't enjoy the plain taste of water - jazz it up! Have herb or fruit infused water, for example, add some lemon, mint, strawberries, orange... get creative.
- If you are exercising, keep a conscience effort to ensure you are keeping hydrated, before, during and after your workout.
- It can be a confusion when it comes to feeling hungry or thirsty - try drinking water first, if your hunger is not satisfied then you need to eat.
- The best part.... It's free! Take advantage and consume as much as you can.